With the qualification as “International Fashion Designer” you have the opportunity to work in various areas of the fashion industry. There are multiple jobs available to you such as Fashion Designer, Costume Designer, Fashion Journalist, Product Manager, Pattern Maker, Design Technician, Quality Controller or Marketing Designer. Our course tailors to meet your individual needs to work nationally and internationally.
At MDC we provide you with all the professional equipment you need to make you wildest fashion ideas come to life. You benefit from our creative and intense apprenticeship at MDC. With the right sense for aesthetics, silhouetes, colours and shapes combined with your love of fashion are you then finally qualified for your future dream job.
Our admission requirements are a high school education. In exceptional cases such as special artistic ability or previous industry experience will also be considered. Applications from outside Germany are very much welcome and of course students that would like to transfer from their current apprenticeship. The course is carried out exclusively in German.
The start of each Semester is 1st April and 1st October. Classes take place over a four day week containing 32 hours a week tuition. In total there are three breaks during a calendar year – Spring Break is three weeks, Summer Holidays is seven weeks and there are two weeks provided over the Christmas and New Year period.
In order for our students to further progress creatively our lectures are carried out in our stylishly furnished rooms. We work with state of the art equipment in small and efficient learning groups. What we find unique to MDC is the special family atmosphere which helps significantly with better learning outcomes.
After your successful qualification with us you will have all of the following:
• You have the ability to tailor your own designs and create the garments from the said design.
• You will have an extensive knowledge of the most important steps in producing a fashion collection.
• You will have mastered the industry terms so that you are able to communicate your designs in writing and orally.
• You can can purvey your designs electronically via Presentations or Documentation.
• In the first section you will learn the basics of fashion design. By the end of the third semester you will complete an interim exam which will cover the knowledge and skills acquired so far and provides you the chance to show your professional compentences.
• In the second section you will deepen your existing knowledge and bring this with you into your work placement semester.
• In the third section the focus of your training is on the conception and realisation of your final collections. All your work is focused on your final collections and the displaying your final collection to the public in our graduation show.
With our international orientated course we lay the lay the foundations for a successful and prosperous career in the world of fashion. We have tried to split them into a further three categories – Crafts, Techniques & Design.
• Fit optimisation
• Cut Modification
• Experimental Drawing
• Intuitive Drawing
• Quick Drawing
• Perception and expression of the line
• Digital Collage and Montage
• Digitalisation of manual cuts
• Textile Manufacturing process
• Theory of Colours
• Fashion Theory
Furthermore you will gain insight into all the computer programs usied in the fashion industry. The include introductions to Computer Aided Design (CAD), computer visualisation and the methodology and application of vector based drawing programs.
A special feature of the Mode Design College is our new subject “Sustainable Design”. In this trend setting subject you deal with the global fashion industry and its worldwide production facilities. The various manufacturing processes for textiles and clothing are analysed with a few to their sustainability. The aim of this lesson is to support the development of ecological awareness. This encourages critical thinking and questioning various stages of production and processes in the fashion industry.
We have also developed a new subject called “Product Development” at MDC. It is an in-depth guide with deep practical relevance that deals with the development of initial samples according to product specifications.